HONEY SECTION SCHEDULE 2022
Organised by Members of Wakefield and Pontefract Beekeepers Association
Enquires and entries to: – Mark Millard,
170 New Road, Overton, Wakefield. WF4 4RG
Tel 07497 429646, e mail email@example.com
Cheques payable to ‘Emley Show Society’
Rules and Regulations of the Honey Show Section
- Exhibitors must label exhibits with the labels provided as follows:
Honey: 1” (2.5cms) between the bottom of the jar and the label
Mead: 1” (2.5cms) between the bottom of the bottle and the label
Wax cake: Label to be fixed to show case or polythene bag and bottom of wax cake
Honey cake: to be presented on a plain paper plate. Contained in clear polythene bag.
Label fixed on plate and top right corner of bag.
Comb: Label to be fixed to top right-hand corner of showcase and one on top bar of frame.
- No exhibitor’s name, card, trademark or label may appear on the exhibit
- All honey must be the produce of the exhibitor’s own bees. Extracted honey must be exhibited in clear glass 1lb (454g) jars, of British Standard (Squat) design with standard lacquered screw caps. All jars must be matched pairs of the same type.
- ‘Light / Medium/ Dark’ relativity will be defined using NHS (BD) grading glasses.
- Combs should be exhibited in the appropriate case.
- Wax must be the produce of the exhibitor’s own bees and the wax rendered and prepared by the exhibitor or their assistant. Wax to be weighed by the judge.
- Mead must be exhibited in plain glass bottles of approx. 26fl.oz (76cl) capacity with rounded shoulders. Level of mead must be within ¾” (1.8cm) of the base of the stopper & white-topped cork stoppers only to be used
- Exhibitors can have more than one entry in a class but no single entry may be shown in more than one class. An exhibitor will be entitled to only one award in any one class.
- Open classes are open to any resident of the United Kingdom.
- Exhibits must not be tasted or interfered with in any way during the show without authority of the Stewards.
- Definitions: Soft Set Honey is honey which has been softened, stirred and allowed to reset.
Granulated Honey is set honey that is not soft set or creamed
- Trophies will be awarded in classes 1212 – 1228. Both open and WPBKA will be eligible to be awarded the Blue Ribbon for best exhibit.
- Any Rule not covered by the Rules and Regulations of the Honey show Section will be in accordance with Rules of The Yorkshire BeeKeepers’ Association Honey Show.
- Entry fee: 50p per entry. Entries on the form provided by 02 August 2022.
Class 1223 Novice – Free Entry
Entries made on day of show; extra 10p per entry.
Entries to the value of £4 and over will qualify for an exhibitor’s pass. (If received BEFORE SHOW DAY)
- Staging of exhibits must be made by 09:30 on day of show.
ALL VEHICLES MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE SHOWGROUND BY 9.00AM
Prizes: 1st – £3.00, 2nd – £2.00, 3rd – £1.00
Judge Mr D Shannon – Wroot, Doncaster.
1201 Two 1lb (454g) jars light honey
1202 Two 1lb (454g) jars medium honey
1203 Two 1lb (454g) jars dark honey
1204 Two 1lb (454g) soft set or granulated honey (see Rule 11)
1205 Two 1lb (454g) heather/heather blend honey
1206 One bottle of dry mead (see Rule 7)
1207 One bottle of sweet mead (see Rule 7)
1208 One cake of beeswax between 8oz (227g) and 16oz (454g) (see Rule 6)
1209 One comb of any honey suitable for extraction, excluding heather honey (see Rule 5)
1210 Honey cake – Exhibitors own recipe. Sweetened only with honey.
List of ingredients to be displayed on a card
1211 One pair of any type of beeswax candles. One to be lit by Judge.
Wakefield & Ponterfact BKA Classes
Prizes: – The appropriate Trophy
1212 Two 1lb (454g) jars light honey
1213 Two 1lb (454g) jars medium honey
1214 Two 1lb (454g) jars dark honey
1215 Two 1lb (454g) granulated honey (see Rule 11)
1216 Two 1lb (454g) jars of soft set honey (see Rule 11)
1217 Two 1lb (454g) heather/heather blend honey
1218 One comb of any honey suitable for extraction
1219 Two pieces of cut comb honey, flower or heather, presented in standard commercial containers. Min Weight 8oz (225g). Place 1 label in top R/H corner.
1220 One cake of beeswax between 12oz (340g) and 18oz (510g)
1221 Decorative beeswax models min of 3 max 6. Area 305mm x 305mm maximum
1222 Three 1lb (454g) jars of assorted honey
1223 Two 1lb (454g) jars of honey exhibited by a beginner (see Rule 14)
1224 One bottle dry mead (see Rule 7)
1225 One bottle sweet mead (see Rule 7)
1226 One bottle melomel mead (see Rule 7) – exhibitor to state on a label located opposite side to class label, fruit type and whether sweet or dry.
1227 One Honey cake to the following recipe: –
8oz (225g) self raising flour, 6oz (170g) honey,
4oz (113g) butter, 6oz (170g) sultanas, 2 eggs a pinch of salt.
Bake in 7-inch cake tin, moderate oven for approx. 90 mins.
1228 Mounted photograph – B&W or colour, including digital, on any subject relating to beekeeping. Min size (exc mount) 250mm x 200mm