Organised by Members of Wakefield & Pontefract Beekeeper’s Association
Enquiries and entries to:
Alan & Kath Brown,
9 The Woodlands,
Tel: 01977 796193
Cheques made payable to Emley Show Society
Rules And Regulations Of The Honey Show Section
- Exhibitors must label all exhibits with the labels provided as follows:
- Honey:1” (2.5cms) between the bottom of the jar and the label.
- Mead: 1” (2.5cms) between the bottom of the bottle and the label.
- Wax cake: Label to be fixed on showcase or polythene bag and wax cake.
- Honey cake: To be presented on paper plate. Contained in clear polythene bag, label fixed on plate and top right-hand corner of bag.
- Comb: Label to be fixed to top right-hand corner of showcase and one on top bar of frame.
- No exhibitor’s name, card, trademark or label may appear on any exhibit.
- All honey must be the produce of the exhibitor’s own bees. Extracted honey must be exhibited in clear glass 1lb (454g) jars, of British Standard (Squat) design with standard lacquered screw caps.
- British Standard filters will be used to check colour.
- Combs should be exhibited in the appropriate case.
- Wax must be the produce of the exhibitor’s own bees and the wax rendered and prepared by the exhibitor or their assistants. Wax to be weighed by the judge.
- Mead must be exhibited in plain glass bottles of approx 26fl.oz (76cl) capacity with rounded shoulders. Level of the mead must be within ¾”(1.8cm) of the base of the stopper & white-topped cork stoppers only to be used.
- Exhibitors can have more than one entry in a class but no single entry may be shown in more than one class. An exhibitor will be entitled to only one award in any one class.
- Open classes are open to any resident of the United Kingdom.
- Exhibits must not be tasted or interfered with in any way during the show without the authority of the Stewards.
- Definitions: Soft Set Honey is honey which has been softened, stirred and allowed to reset. Granulated honey is honey that is not soft set or creamed.
- Trophies will be awarded in the classes 1212-1228. Both open and WPBKA classes will be eligible to be awarded the Blue Ribbon for best exhibit.
- Any Rule not covered by the Rules and Regulations of the Honey Show Section will be in accordance with the Rules of The Yorkshire Honey Show.
- Entry fee: 50p per entry. Entries on the form provided, by 30th July 2019
Class 1223 Novice – Free Entry (Winner awarded free entry to enter exhibit in Countryside Live Honey Show in October 2019)
Entries made on day of show; extra 10p per entry.
Entries to the value of £4 and over will qualify for an exhibitors pass. (if received BEFORE SHOW DAY)
- Staging of exhibits must be made by 9.30am on day of show.
ALL VEHICLES MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE SHOWGROUND BY 9.00AM.
Prizes: 1st – £3, 2nd – £2, 3rd – £1
Judge: Mr A Woodward – Doncaster
|1201||Two 1lb (454g) jars of light honey|
|1202||Two 1lb (454g) jars of medium honey|
|1203||Two 1lb (454g) jars of dark honey|
|1204||Two 1lb (454g) jars of soft set OR granulated honey (see Rule 11)|
|1205||Two 1lb (454g) jars of heather/heather blend honey|
|1206||One bottle of dry mead (see Rule 7)|
|1207||One bottle of sweet mead (see Rule 7)|
|1208||One cake of beeswax between 8oz (227g) and 16oz (454g) (see Rule 6)|
|1209||One comb of any honey suitable for extracting, excluding heather honey (see rule 5)|
|1210||Honey cake – Exhibitor’s own recipe. Sweetened only with honey. Recipe to be displayed on card|
|1211||One pair of any type of beeswax candles. One to be lit by Judge.|
Wakefield & Pontefract BKA Classes
Prizes: -The appropriate Trophy
|1212||Two 1lb (454g) jars of light honey|
|1213||Two 1lb (454g) jars of medium honey|
|1214||Two 1lb (454g) jars of dark honey|
|1215||Two 1lb (454g) jars of granulated honey (see rule 11)|
|1216||Two 1lb (454g) jars of soft set honey (see rule 11)|
|1217||Two 1lb (454g) jars of heather/heather blend honey|
|1218||One comb of any honey suitable for extraction|
|1219||Two cartons of cut comb honey|
|1220||One cake of beeswax between 12oz (340g) and 18oz (510g)|
|1221||Decorative beeswax models. Min of 3, max of 6. Area 305mm X 305mm maximum|
|1222||Three 1lb (454g) jars of assorted honey|
|1223||Two 1lb (454g) jars of honey exhibited by a beginner-See Rule 14|
|1224||One bottle of dry mead (see rule 7)|
|1225||One bottle of sweet mead (see rule 7)|
|1226||One honey cake to the following recipe:
8oz (227g) self-raising flour, 6oz (170g) honey,
4oz (113g) butter, 6oz (170g) sultanas, 2 eggs, a pinch of salt
Bake in 7-inch cake tin, moderate oven for approx 90 mins.
|1227||Mounted Photograph-B&W or colour, including digital, on any subject relating to beekeeping. Min size (excl mount) 250mm x 200mm.|
|1228||Decorative beeswax flowers.|